Timing is everything, even when it comes to getting a medical alert system. You may be debating whether it’s the right time for you to get a medical alert system, especially if you’re worried about investing in one when you’re not sure you need it at this stage. But if your situation changes, you may begin to reconsider your decision. What if a family member, caregiver, or friend urges you to get one, or you experience a fall? How can you know for sure that the time has arrived to take this step?
Asking the Right Questions
The first step is to ask yourself a few questions about your health and living arrangements, which can help guide your thinking.
- Have you had a recent change in your living arrangements? Are you living alone with no one you can call nearby for help in the event of an emergency?
- Have you experienced a medical issue at home and had no one to call who could quickly summon help?
- Have you recently returned home from the hospital or rehab, and is there no one living with you who could provide help if you fall or suffer medical complications?
- Are you on any medications that could make you drowsy or less than fully alert, mentally and physically?
- Have you found it necessary to start using a cane or walker to climb stairs or get around the house?
- Are you having trouble seeing the keys on your home telephone or cell phone or finding it difficult to dial a telephone due to physical debilities like arthritis or memory problems?
- Have you been diagnosed with a serious chronic ailment such as COPD or heart disease, which might result in a medical emergency?
- Has your spouse at home been diagnosed with dementia or Alzheimer’s disease and begun to wander?
- Do you want to continue to live independently at home instead of moving into an assisted living or long-term care facility?
The Right Answer
Once you seriously consider these questions, the answer usually becomes clear whether now is the right time to order a medical medical alert system that can provide you with 24/7 access to an operator for emergency medical assistance at the touch of a button. You, like many other seniors, may conclude that the potential risks posed in these very real scenarios of living at home as you grow older indicate that the time is right to invest in a medical alert system for increased safety and peace of mind.