Are you a nervous driver? That’s no surprise — after all, according to a recent study, driving can be as stressful as skydiving. Between bad roads, unpredictable traffic, and nasty weather, there’s no shortage of elements on the road that can cause you to lose your cool. However, it is possible for you to alleviate stress while driving and restore your peace of mind.
Seniors face a combination of challenges that can increase their stress levels while driving. The National Institutes of Health lists several factors that can affect seniors, including:
- Diminished sensory perception (such as vision and hearing)
- Increased time to process information
- Reduced reaction time
- Medications that can impair driving
- Assorted medical conditions ranging from arthritis to Parkinson’s disease
In addition to age-related stress factors that can affect driving, DMV.org notes that anger, worry, impatience, and distraction can affect drivers of any age.
Alleviate Stress While Driving
There are a number of things you can do proactively to ensure that each ride is safe and as peaceful as possible. Start with the following:
- If you think your health (including eyesight and hearing) or medication could interfere with safe driving, talk with your doctor. Don’t drive when you’re taking medication that makes you drowsy or gives you brain fog.
- Avoid driving when you’re upset or distracted.
- Build in extra time to your trips so that you don’t feel rushed.
- If you’re driving into unfamiliar territory, get directions ahead of time. Sometimes, GPS systems can give incorrect or confusing directions.
- Avoid night driving, driving during inclement weather, and driving alone if any of these situations make you nervous.
- Drive a car that makes you feel comfortable and safe.
How Medical Alert Devices Can Help
A mobile medical alert device such as Philips Lifeline’s GoSafe3 can help alleviate stress for you and your family when it comes to driving. You’ll feel safe and confident because your system accompanies you when you’re on the go. If you’re in an auto accident, just press the button on the pendant, and your device will connect you instantly to a professional response team that’s available 24/7. With six location technologies, the response team can find you even if you’re lost. Think of GoSafe as your road companion. You’ll never feel alone when you travel because you can be confident that help is right there with you.
That protection doesn’t end when you park your car. In the event that you fall and can’t reach the button on your pendant, GoSafe’s automatic fall detection will contact a response center for you if it detects your fall. This type of protection allows you to enjoy a sense of security whether you’re driving, walking in the neighborhood, or out shopping. So take a deep breath, grab your keys, and enjoy life to the fullest.