If the senior you care for relies on a medical alert device for their peace of mind, you’ll want to make sure that you and any other caregivers fully understand how it works. It’s especially important to note that these medical alert devices run on battery power if not plugged in, so you want to be aware of exactly how to replace or recharge the batteries, ensuring that the device will never run out of juice when your senior needs it the most.
As its name implies, the HomeSafe system is designed for home use. There are two main components: a base station and a button on a pendant or wristband. The base station, called the communicator, serves as the link between your senior and Lifeline’s Response Center. Designed to be plugged into an outlet at all times, HomeSafe systems rely on either a telephone landline or cellular technology.
Be sure that the communicator is plugged into a socket that isn’t controlled with a light switch. That way, you can avoid the risk of accidentally turning off the system. Your Home Communicator uses a factory-installed battery for back up. If you lose power, the backup battery begins to work automatically. The Communicator will send an alarm to the Lifeline Response Center to indicate that the Communicator is using its backup battery. The backup battery can last for up to 30 hours, depending on the battery age and environmental conditions. The equipment will automatically send a signal to Lifeline when the battery needs to be replaced.
HomeSafe Help Buttons
The other component to the HomeSafe system — the Help Button — comes in two models. The HomeSafe Personal Help Button can be worn either as a pendant or wristband, while the HomeSafe AutoAlert Button comes only as a pendant. HomeSafe devices use non-rechargeable batteries. When power does run low, the device will send a low battery signal to Lifeline when there are approximately 30 days of battery life remaining. Lifeline or your representative will contact you to arrange for a replacement.
On the Go
Lifeline’s mobile alert system, On the Go, can call for help both inside and outside the home. It is equipped with rechargeable batteries and a charging unit. After you place your On the Go device in the charging cradle, the LED light will turn solid red and the device will announce, “Your device is now charging." A complete charge will take approximately 2-3 hours. When your device has adequate battery charge and is connected to the cellular network, the LED light will turn green and the system will announce, “Your device is now ready, If you need to place an emergency call please press and hold the HELP button now.”
Whether your senior is homebound or on the go, you and any other caregivers can gain a lot of comfort from the fact that she is equipped with a medical alert device that is fully charged and ready for use.